Skip repetitive navigational links

Date:         Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:20:49 -0800
Sender:       "National Birding Hotline Cooperative (Chat Line)"
From:         Joseph Morlan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Interesting entry level binoculars from Bushnell

I've often felt many people are discouraged from becoming birders because of the cost of good binoculars. Most of us started with an inexpensive compromise, but ended up by spending as much as we could afford (sometimes more than we could afford) on good optics. I recently had a chance to look at the new Bushnell H2O Waterproof binoculars: http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars_h2o_15-0842.cfm?#CGI.QUERY_STRING# These are low-end entry-level binoculars which have a street price of only $70-80 or so (currently on special from B&H at $69.95). The specifications are excellent and the quality seems very good to me. The difference between these offerings and optics costing much more is not huge. In general I have a policy of not recommending binoculars because I don't want people to blame me if they buy something that's not right for them. However, I thought these were a terrific value and mentioned them to my beginning students in class. As a result four new students bought the 8X42 roof and one bought the equivalent poro design. So far they seem happy. The poro prism design does not focus quite as close as the roof prism design, but has a wider field of view. Bushnell has long offered the highly rated Natureview binoculars for entry-level birding. However, the H2O are similar but cost less and seem to be an even better value. At these prices, I think they make an excellent spare binocular for serious birders as well as a superb entry level value. I have no connection or other financial interest in Bushnell or in these binoculars or with B&H photo other than as a customer. This is just my opinion. As always, your mileage may vary. -- Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu SF Birding Classes start March 27 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/ California Bird Records Committee http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/ BirdChat Guidelines: http://www.ksu.edu/audubon/chatguidelines.html Archives: http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdchat.html